UX Designer - 12 month Industrial Placement.
Location – London or Peterborough
Start Date – September 2021.
We enjoy what we do, and we have fun doing it! We’re founded on strong values of Being United, Being Ambitious, Being Creative, Being Authentic. We want to make a difference for our customers, colleagues and communities.
Founded in 1992, BGL Group has grown from 30 to almost 3,000 people and are ranked number 5 in the Sunday Times Top track mid-market growth companies. We’re a leading digital distributor of insurance and household financial services trusted by more than 10 million customers in the UK alone.
In 2006 we launched Compare the Market and it’s grown rapidly to become one of the UK’s most loved price comparison websites.
As part of Compare the Market’s UX team, you’ll take a user centered approach to designing new experiences that make our customer’s lives simpler and more enjoyable.
Working with UX designers and researchers, you’ll collaborate with product, engineering and others to find the best solutions to the problems our customers face. Along the way you’ll grow your knowledge of UX methods and processes, customer research, data analysis, optimisation, and UI design.
What’s in it for you?
This will be a great opportunity for you to learn and experience what a UX Design team does in a customer facing company, and by the end of the year you will have experience in the following:
• Bringing together insights to understand real-world customer problems
• Creating UX artefacts, such as user flows, customer journey maps, wireframes and more
• Learn when best to use different UX methodologies
• Work on all elements of the design process. You’ll see what actually happens in the Discovery phase of a project, offer your own ideas during Ideation for a commercial product, help work on Iterative Design and Testing to ensure it’s the right solution, and then continue to work with Delivery teams to ensure it’s built and functions as expected before going live on the website.
• Tracking the impact your designs will make on millions of customers every day. Not only will you see how your work improves customers lives, you’ll also monitor how it directly contributes to revenue growth and key business objectives.
What we’re looking for:
Working towards a degree in a digital design-related subject which requires a placement year.
• Have a good grounding in basic UX design principles and methods, and ready to put them into practice and learn more e.g. user journey mapping, personas, customer research
• Are motivated by finding opportunities to improve customers lives
• Are passionate about design and how it can solve real problems
• Actively pursue opportunities to develop your skills and expertise
• Seek feedback for development and put into action
• Meticulous with great attention to detail
• Excited to learn more about customers
• Are ideally developing a portfolio through your studies demonstrating end to end thinking about service and experience delivery for customers
• May have experience with UI design tools (Figma, Sketch, Axure etc) and UI design skills and principles; experience with design systems which would be beneficial
From accepting our offer with us you’ll be assigned a buddy to assist with joining. After joining the placement programme, you’ll have a line manager to give you regular guidance and coaching, as well as the support of a large network of Graduates and Graduate programme alumni!
Through the placement you’ll have access to our training and support to hone key skills such as stakeholder management, presenting, team working and project management to help build the foundations for your future career.
At the end of your placement programme, you could have the opportunity to secure a post University role with us.
1) Online Application; online questions completed via the BGL career sites
2) Online Assessments; you will complete a verbal and numerical assessment
3) Telephone Interview; a competency-based interview with a member of the Graduate recruitment team
4) Assessment Centre; a full or part day event consisting of different activities to understand your strengths, potential, motivations for our programme and to get to know you. We’ll also make sure you get plenty of opportunities to get to know BGL, our colleagues and the programme.
Timelines (subject to change)
• Application closing date:7th March
• Assessment centres: 12th April
• Start date: September 2021
We are committed to offering equal chances to you throughout our application process, so if you require any special adjustments to be made please let us know. We’ll work with you to make any appropriate arrangements.
About Covid: We’re all hoping to return to normality soon, but if that doesn’t happen in time we’ll adjust things to work out, whether that’s doing interviews on Teams, or working remotely for the placement. In the future, we want to try our best to maintain flexibility in office and home working where possible.
Diversity and Inclusion - We're a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and talented professionals. With an inclusive and open workplace, we encourage our people to create and share ideas – supporting their growth and celebrating their uniqueness. We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer and stand firmly against discrimination of any kind.
Flexible working- We understand the importance of achieving a healthy lifestyle balance, whether it’s working remotely or flexibly we have an environment where people are empowered to embrace flexible working in a way that works for them and for the business.