What’s the challenge?
Our design team has been growing for the last three years, and we’re ready to expand further by boosting the team with UX Design Managers. These are brand new roles for our business, we’re looking for Design Managers to manage, mentor and grow Senior UX Designers and UX Designers by providing day to day line management, pastoral, developmental and stakeholder management support, as well as design craft guidance and advice.
As a Design Manager, you’ll be an accomplished senior designer with experience of guiding and mentoring others. This role is ideal for an experienced practitioner, who now wants to grow their leadership skills and help other designers improve and get the support they need. It’s a more “hands-off” design role, for someone who is prepared to roll up their sleeves and get stuck in where necessary!
In this role, you’ll work alongside Lead Designers, who focus on technical craft and delivery, while you organise and lead the rest of the team.
About our UX Design team
At Compare the Market, we’re helping people take control of their life admin and feel more confident about their finances by defining the future of price comparison. Our UX Design team is integral to this – working with researchers, optimisation managers, product owners, software engineers and others to get the heart of customer needs, and designing and testing solutions that are ready for changing customer expectations. It’s not just form filling – our design team is working across our mobile app, content, design system, and new products and features that will help Make Life Simples for our customers.
We’ve also got the benefit of an in-house research lab, where designers and researchers work together to speak to hundreds of customers a year to see and hear first-hand what they customers think of us!
What will I get up to as a Design Manager at Compare the Market?
• Strategic UX thinking – always keeping the “bigger picture” in mind and able to stay out of the detail where necessary
• Leading and managing a team of around five UX designers
• Encouraging and facilitating transparent design processes - running design critiques and reviews within the design time and wider business
• Coordination of UX resource against multiple projects, sometimes with external agencies, supporting on delivery (internally and externally) where necessary
• Supporting the delivery and presentation to senior stakeholders internally and externally of clearly defined, well-communicated and validated designs and flows that drive customer confidence, engagement and business metrics - designed by their teams under their guidance
• Fostering the use of insights, data, experience and creativity to help solve problems for customers, and always championing the customer within the business
What will it take to be successful?
• Considerable experience and a proven passion for crafting mobile and web experiences and line managing UX teams (or playing a lead role on UX design projects)
• Creative problem-solver with experience of working agile
• Understands business and customer goals and the right UX approach and tools to fulfil them - and can guide others in using them
• Excellent communicator and influencer
• Active learner with significant experience of UX methods and tools
• Motivates and inspires designers and others by providing leadership and expertise
• Experience in UX, UI, prototyping and content - to guide and grow designers with confidence
• Outstanding consumer understanding
• Experience of working within financial services, and/or designing consumer facing transactional processes desirable
Diversity and Inclusion
We're a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and talented professionals. With an inclusive and open workplace, we encourage our people to create and share ideas – supporting their growth and celebrating their uniqueness
We understand the importance of achieving a healthy lifestyle balance, whether it’s working remotely or flexibly we have an environment where people are empowered to embrace flexible working in a way that works for them and for the business.