Challenge. Create. Deliver. Evolve
As part of a new tech team based in Sunderland, you’ll deliver first class customer propositions to some of the UK’s most iconic brands and businesses. At BGL our customers are at the heart of what we do and our passion is to create great customer experiences.
We’re looking for a Technical Lead with an unrivalled enthusiasm for their craft, who work best in a collaborative team environment. We’re passionate about empowering colleagues and do the same with our customers, allowing them to choose and purchase the right product at the right price for them.
- Build, Run, and Own first-class solutions in an engineering team
- Lead by example and develop first class tech solutions
- Promote and ensure quality is at the heart of all technical solutions
- Are accountable for the contribution to and adherence of the Design Assurance process for all changes within the team
- Are accountable for the contribution to and embedding of software engineering practices within the team
- Work with the Solutions Architect to help shape future solutions and promote the target vision within the team
- Champion continuous improvement and technical excellence within the delivery teams
- Coach and mentor other engineers in technical excellence
What will it take to be successful as a Technical Lead at BGL Tech?
At BGL Tech we invest in our people and their skills development. If you can answer yes to most of the following, then get in touch. For the right candidate, we will support you to fill in any knowledge gaps.
- Self-motivated, natural leader and motivator. Passionate about Technology
- Great communicator, influencer and negotiator
- Advocate of agile engineering practices and lean principles, TDD, deploying often, pair programming and keeping things simple
- Passionate about quality, design assurance and technical excellence
- High level of coding standards and practices (OO, design patterns, testing approaches) – willing and able to code in multiple language and technologies
- Experience of coaching, mentoring and driving technical excellence from a team of engineers
- Active learner, both within your technical and professional area of expertise, & taking control of your own career development
Due to the nature of our exciting expansion, we want to ensure you are inducted fully into our environment. As such, we require flexibility to accommodate working between Peterborough and Sunderland for an interim period as part of your onboarding experience. Details will be discussed throughout the interview process.
BGL Tech Benefits
• 5% pension contribution
• Up to 25 days holiday, not including bank holidays
• Ability to buy / sell annual leave
• Flexible working
• Innovation days
• Access to coaching, mentoring and online skills development
• 2 for 1 Meerkat Meals and Movies
• Subsidised on site restaurant
• Optional healthcare plan and Virtual GP services
We are a leading digital distributor of insurance and household financial services to 9.5 million customers. The Group is organised in two Divisions: Insurance, Distribution and Outsourcing (IDO) and Price Comparison.
IDO provides a range of motor, home and life insurance products in partnership with several of the best-known brands in UK financial services and through own brands Budget Insurance, Dial Direct, Beagle Street and FiftyLife, all supported by state-of-the-art contact centres and digital platforms.
BGL Tech is the technology group within IDO responsible for the digital platform used by our high street brand partners.
With nearly 3,000 colleagues in the UK and Paris, we understand the importance of achieving a healthy lifestyle balance. Whether it’s working from home, flexible hours, part-time or job share, we aim to create an environment where colleagues can feel empowered to build a flexible working culture to cater to both their personal and professional lives in a way that works for them and for the business.