Here at BGL we like to be different – we provide a range of motor, home and life insurance, and exist to make insurance simple and accessible. Our digital, technical and data capabilities are something to be proud of, and we recognise there’s still more to be done!
As a Full Stack Software Engineer, you’ll work collaboratively within the Engineering Community to design and build first class software solutions. You’ll be self-motivated, passionate about technology and will always adhere to our coding standards and best practices, continually striving for technical excellence. In this role, you’ll be part of an agile delivery team working under the guidance of a Change Delivery Manager, contributing to our evolving ways of working and culture of innovation, enthusiasm and passion. Providing knowledge and insight into both emerging technologies and new opportunities around our existing systems.
This is a full-time permanent role that can be based out of Peterborough or Sunderland hubs with a hydbrid remote/on site approach to working.
What will it involve?
- Work within an agile team to deliver robust solutions that meet the functional and technical requirements of the customer.
- Work with colleagues and Product Owners to help shape requirements.
- Show strict adherence to technical and quality standards within agreed timeframes.
- Contribute to improving standards and working practices where possible.
- Champion the need for a "quality first" approach and work with the Quality Community to help establish optimum testing coverage.
- Active learner keeping up to date with developments in your technical and professional area of expertise.
- Maintain business agility through a sustainable approach to software development.
- Embrace the culture of continuously improving our services by being bold and innovative.
What will it take to be successful as a Full Stack Software Engineer?
- Excellent problem solving, analytical and decision-making skills.
- Passionate about technology, with an ability to quickly pick up other technologies.
- Great written and oral communication skills, and attention to detail.
- A team player who is willing to work collaboratively and share knowledge in a predominantly paired programming role.
- Able to deliver change to a high quality that aligns with business requirements.
- Actively participate in agile ceremonies and continuous improvement.
- Pragmatic approach to software development, understanding the importance of continuous delivery.
- Identify, escalate and willing to take ownership of technical challenges.
- Champion of agile engineering practices and lean principles; TDD, deploying often, pair programming and keeping things simple.
- High level of understanding around object-oriented programming principals, design patterns and testing approaches.
- An active learner, with both technical and professional development.
Advantageous skills and experience:
- C# ASP.NET MVC and .NET Core
- Version Control Systems (e.g. git)
- Building solutions with SOLID and OWASP in mind
- Cloud technologies such as AWS or similar.
- Front-end technologies such as React or Angular.
- Queues and event-driven architecture.
- Consuming and developing restful APIs.
Founded in 1992, the BGL Group has grown significantly in size and capability. From 30 to 3,000 people, we are a leading digital distributor of insurance and household financial services. We have reached 9.5 million customers through brands including CompareTheMarket.com, LesFurets.com, Beagle Street, Budget Insurance & Dial Direct. We make a difference for our customers, colleagues and communities by working, growing and winning together. We enjoy what we do and have fun doing it!
Diversity and Inclusion
We're a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and talented professionals. With an inclusive and open workplace, we encourage our people to create and share ideas – supporting their growth and celebrating their uniqueness.
We understand the importance of achieving a healthy lifestyle balance, whether it’s working remotely or flexibly we have an environment where people are empowered to embrace flexible working in a way that works for them and for the business.