Here at BGL Life we like to be different – we’ve sold life insurance products and services unique to the market since 2012. We’ve continued to change the narrative of life insurance to be less complex and replaced it with simplicity, speed and value, to allow our customers to obtain a quote in just 60 seconds and be covered in as little as 10 minutes! Our digital, technical and data capabilities are something to be proud of, and we recognise there’s still more to be done!
As a .Net Software Engineer, you’ll work collaboratively within the Engineering Community to design and build first class software solutions. You’ll be self-motivated, passionate about technology and will always adhere to our coding standards and best practices, continually striving for technical excellence.
In this role, you’ll be part of an agile delivery team working under the guidance of a Technical Lead, contributing to our evolving ways of working and culture of innovation, enthusiasm and passion. Providing knowledge and insight into both emerging technologies and new opportunities around our existing systems.
What will it take to be successful as a Software Engineer?
- Great communicator.
- Predominantly paired programming, a team player who is willing to work collaboratively and share knowledge
- Able to deliver change to a high quality that aligns with business requirements
- Actively participate in agile ceremonies and continuous improvement
- Pragmatic approach to software development, understanding the importance of continuous delivery
- Identify, escalate and willing to take ownership of technical challenges
- Work with the Quality Community to help establish optimum testing coverage
- Liaise with other business areas to define and evaluate requirements
- Champion of agile engineering practices and lean principles; TDD, deploying often, pair programming and keeping things simple
- High level of understanding around object-oriented programming principals, design patterns and testing approaches.
- An active learner, with both technical and professional development. BGL Life provide 1 day per month personal development time and £100 a year budget for books, training, etc to support this.
Demonstratable knowledge of building applications using some of the following:
- Web Technology HTTP, SOAP, Ajax and RESTful services
- C# and .Net Core (or transferable OO language)
- SQL, XML, JSON
- Version Control Systems (e.g. git)
- Building solutions with SOLID in mind
Whilst we think the above skills are ideal, we remain open to hear from applicants that come from various backgrounds who believe they have some transferable skills for consideration. We are also open to discussing flexible working options.
About Us Founded in 1992, the BGL Group has grown significantly in size and capability. From 30 to 3,000 people, we are a leading digital distributor of insurance and household financial services. We have reached 9.5 million customers through brands including CompareTheMarket.com, LesFurets.com, Beagle Street, Budget Insurance & Dial Direct. We make a difference for our customers, colleagues and communities by working, growing and winning together. We enjoy what we do and have fun doing it!
Diversity and Inclusion
We're a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and talented professionals. With an inclusive and open workplace, we encourage our people to create and share ideas – supporting their growth and celebrating their uniqueness.
If this sounds like the role for you, apply now!