At BGL Group you’ll be working across two products, Bean and a new open banking project. Bean set out to help people save money and optimise their outgoings through scanning their bank transactions and identifying recurring spend. Our purpose is to ensure people only spend what they need to spend by cancelling what isn’t needed and switching to better alternatives. Ultimately, we want to help people improve their finances and take the stress out of it. We’re now scaling the technology to fully embrace open banking and build a platform to support opportunities across the group.
What will you be responsible for as a Senior Software Engineer at BGL Group?
- Make design decisions together
- Deliver quality software
- Make incremental improvements
- Practise the agile manifesto
- Resist process for process sake
- Use the right tools for the job
- Share ideas and knowledge through coaching and mentoring
- Continuously learn, improve and grow. Learn from our success and failures
- Hammock driven development (look it up – excellent talk by Rich Hickey)
What will it take to be successful as a Senior Software Engineer within the Open Banking team?
- Someone who wants to use their skills to help people
- Has a passion for their craft but also a degree of pragmatism with great problem solving
- Gets their kicks from users using their work, not white paper implementations
- Not scared of learning new things. Can bring their new learnings to their job and team
- Is team orientated. We deliver as a team, we fail as a team. No rockstars or ninjas
- Understands that not everything needs to be solved with a ‘technical hammer’
- Polyglot developers (specialism in Ruby is essential as a minimum. Elixir, React Native, and Elm is an additional bonus)
Tech we currently use:
- Ruby on Rails, Elixir, Elm, Rspec, AWS, Terraform, Postgres, React, React Native, Redux, Rxjs, Express, Git. Generally, if we can justify it, we can use it
- Experience of using some or any of the above is also highly advantageous. (We’re not expecting you to know everything. We just want good engineers who are eager to learn)
What we don’t do:
- Ivory tower architecture
- Ignore tech debt
- Add more tech debt
- Work around problems
- Deliver the wrong solution
- Use techs because they look good on our CVs
- Take ourselves too seriously
Founded in 1992, the BGL Group has grown significantly in size and capability. From 30 to 3,000 people globally we are a leading digital distributor of insurance and household financial services. Home to, many brands including LesFurets, ComparetheMarket.com, Beagle Street, Budget Insurance and Dial Direct. We are trusted by more than 10million customers in the UK alone, with this foundational success we continually grow and invest in our people and their ideas. We enjoy what we do and we have fun doing it.
We understand the importance of achieving a healthy lifestyle balance, whether it’s working remotely or flexibly we have an environment where people are empowered to embrace flexible working in a way that works for them and for the business.
Note: The following advertising dates are purely to comply with VISA applications, we will potentially continue to consider applications after this date where possible.
Opening date: 23/07/2019
Closing date: 23/08/2019