Senior Data Engineering Manager
We have an excellent opportunity for a Senior Data Engineering Manager to join our market leading company.
The purpose of this role is to provide oversight, leadership and direction for the Data Engineering function for BGLi. A key part of this role will be to help establish and then drive our data strategy forward, working with all aspects of the business to leverage both current and new capabilities from developing our talent, to selecting and sourcing the right tools and infrastructure.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Responsible for building market leading data engineering solutions, setting the vision for our data architecture to enable commercial decision making based on rich, robust data
- Manage and mentor the data engineering team
- Have oversight and management of your costs
- Act as Subject Matter Expert within the business
- Work closely with our Data Science and Pricing teams to deliver our strategic data roadmap
- Own our data engineering solutions, both current and future
- Operate as a role model at all times
Role success factors:
- Work successfully with the Data Architect, our Data & Pricing Teams and wider stakeholders to define and deliver our 5 year data strategy
- Ability to balance longer term goals whilst managing our current estate to deliver current business needs
- Apply and encourage evidence-based decision making
- Effectively communicate the vision for the team to all levels of the business, ensuring buy in and engagement
- Know how to balance the needs of our customers and commercial value to deliver the right balanced technical solutions
- Demonstrate a desire and ability to build on existing experience and knowledge
Skills, Experience and Knowledge:
- Proven track record of managing high performing teams and developing data engineering talent
- Deep knowledge of data engineering and understanding how to apply it in different scenarios
- Track record of developing and delivering cloud based data architecture solutions
- Exceptional leadership, communication and coaching experience
- Broad technical skills / knowledge across a variety of data specific tools and systems.
- Able to pick up new concepts and technologies, finding the best fit for the problem at hand
- Actively searches for improvements to processes and products
- Strong stakeholder management skills, ability to land key messages with confidence and gain buy in from all levels, always assuming minimal awareness of the detail – you are the expert!
If you are a driver for continuous improvement, innovative and a natural leader with Senior Data Engineering experience, this could be the role for you!
Please apply with an up to date CV.
*This is a full time, permanent position based in Peterborough*
Why Choose Us?
BGL Insurance is part of the BGL Group of businesses. A leading digital distributor of insurance to more than three million customers, BGL Insurance provides a range of motor, home and life insurance products in partnership with several of the best-known brands in UK financial services and through own brands Budget Insurance, Dial Direct and Beagle Street, all supported by state-of-the-art, award winning, contact centres and market leading digital platforms.
With almost 2,000 colleagues across three sites in Peterborough, Sunderland and Wakefield, BGL Insurance uses its passion, scale and expertise for the benefit of its customers, offering unrivalled value, ease and confidence.
Diversity and Inclusion
We're a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and talented professionals. Inclusive by instinct, we encourage our people to create and share ideas – supporting their growth and celebrating their uniqueness. We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer and stand firmly against discrimination of any kind.
Flexible, hybrid working
BGL Insurance has a truly hybrid approach to working. We know one size does not fit all, so our people work where they need to be to get the job done and find the balance needed to deliver our strategic goals.