BGL Group’s Operations team have an exciting new opportunity for a Platform Engineer to join their busy and forward-thinking department. Reporting into the Senior Technical Lead you will work on both Project led change and Operational Business as Usual tasks, to design and deliver Infrastructure as Code solutions, providing operational governance and common controls across various Business Units. The work you will be involved with will revolve around infrastructure change and you be responsible for helping to develop a community of practice across common technology teams.
As a DevOps Engineer you will support the design and implementation of orchestration, configuration tools and processes to deliver operational governance. You will ensure that the teams are working to set design principles and are designing in coherence to our quality assurance guidelines. Your input into the support of Design Assurance processes across business units will be necessary for BGL to maintain consistency and reduce technical debt.
Working across a multi tenanted AWS environment, and on premise data centre, you are responsible for the ongoing maintenance of code and implementation of good practice across cloud platforms including alignment to AWS Well Architected Framework. Maintaining key relationships within DevOps communities will prove pivotal to the success of this role, as you will need to work closely with other engineers to Identify changes in the technology landscape, particularly in AWS, that impact our business, and contribute to the Group roadmaps.
Based in the Group (central) IT Operations function, you will work closely with DevOps teams across the business in developing the groups common platforms – chiefly around building out operational pipelines or User Access Control, security and compliance frameworks, architectural best practice, reduction of technical debt, automation of manual workloads, adoption and communication of new technologies.
What will it take?
- Experience with Terraform, CloudFormation, Chef, or comparable tools
- Experience with Powershell or python – GIT, Azure DevOps, Team City or Jenkins
- Experience with Cloud Platform themes and topics – including Infrastructure as Code, CI/CD pipelines, version control and testing frameworks
- Experience with Operational Concepts - Patching, Vulnerability management, information security, user and access management, and operational governance in virtualised environments
- Experience in an operational environment – Active Directory, DNS, Domains and Certificates, backup and recovery processes, storage and data transfer concepts, operating system support and hardening, group policy, AWS config/security hub/trusted advisor/system manager
- Experience of maintaining infrastructure to a hardened and resilient levels (NIST, CIS, GDPR and PCI DSS)
- Strong work ethic, self-motivated, able to plan and organise workloads
- Previous experience working within an IT Operations team supporting eCommerce systems (desirable)
Founded in 1992, the BGL Group has grown significantly in size and capability. From 30 to 3,000 people, we are a leading digital distributor of insurance and household financial services. We have reached 10 million customers through brands including comparethemarket.com, LesFurets.com, BGL Life, Budget Insurance & Dial Direct, as well as our partnerships business which provides insurance for some of the UK’s leading high street brands. We make a difference for our customers, colleagues and communities by working, growing and winning together. We enjoy what we do and have fun doing it!
We understand the importance of achieving a healthy lifestyle balance, whether it’s working remotely or flexibly we have an environment where people are empowered to embrace flexible working in a way that works for them and for the business.
Diversity and Inclusion
We're a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and talented professionals. With an inclusive and open workplace, we encourage our people to create and share ideas – supporting their growth and celebrating their uniqueness.